5.03.2012

these hands

these are the hands i -we- will spend the rest of our life depending on and working with. 

i thought i should tell you, as its been a good many months now, that nick and i are engaged to be married. nothing happened. in that there was no proposal. rather, we just decided slowly as though it were the most natural progression that this is what would happen. we told our families. nick's mother gave us the diamond that belonged to her mother's mother's mother, anna.  eventually we told our friends and larger swaths of our family. and now, here i am telling more of you. because as time goes on, and i wear anna's diamond, i want to tell everyone that nick will be my wife and i his man. or however it goes.

nick and kate. kate and nick. he is my other half. my truly good half. he is my balance. he is my temper. he is my compass. he was the first man i met in san francisco. he was my housemate. then my roommate.  he is my best friend. he is the only man in the world i have met that will lay down in the barnyard with me and nap with our cow. he is the only man who will put up with my crazy. he is the only man who will sit me down. day after day. to remind me to eat and to eat well. he is the only man who will quit a good, paid life in a far off city to work with me for nothing or for little. he is the only man who will make the bed in the morning because i insist he does, and then watch me re-make the bed later to my precisions. he is the only man who sings as horrifically bad and off key as i. he is the only man who knows that all i want from town is a butterfinger.  he is the other half of my soul. when he is away i am forever looking around, with words trapped on my tongue. with thoughts half formed. he is neither my fiancé nor my betrothed nor my boyfriend. nor my husband to be. he is my partner. through and through. i had never known the meaning of the word until i had made one in nick.

we are worlds away from having an actual wedding. that is something neither of us could put together right now. we will. but not now.  we are already starting our life together. we are building our farm. we are building a life in vermont. we are doing every bit of it side by side.

we picked ramps for hours yesterday. we went down after lunch, to the sloping wet woods where they have spread like fire. and we dug and picked and shoveled and forked well into the evening.  rachael stopped by to give us news of potential barn kitties just born, to drop off some tomato starts and cookies. she continued on her day and we continued on our harvest. we picked pounds and pounds. nick had the idea to sell them in boston. true to my character i resisted all the way. i hate making money. but this is life. this is our life. we need to make it work however we can. and i need to help my partner whenever he needs the other two hands. and so we harvested til sundown and cleaned well into the night. nick milked winnie as i packed the last of the ramps. we dragged ourselves back to the house and fell asleep watching high fidelity and eating breakfast for dinner. nick drove to boston this morning and i am here, tending the fires of the farm.

some days i am overwhelmed with the simplicity of it all. this is how life will be. this is how life is. our hands look like this now and we are only 28 and 29. i can't imagine how they will fare another 60 years. it is so thoroughly exhausting but i wouldn't change it, or the man i live it with, for the world.

39 comments:

  1. EEEEP! congrats. i feel the same way about my joe. all of our friends rushed off to weddings and babies and although i stood by them through it all, we are taking our time and settling into what makes sense for us. all the congrats in the world are being sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. many many congrats Kate! you've got a wonderful thing - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Kate! Wonderful words and news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful thing to find someone who compliments you so completely. And I wish I had your way with words. Your stories always draw me in and make me feel like we're just two old friends, chatting over very large coffees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. having the right partner makes everything alright. consider yourself blessed. i'm sure you do.

    bettye

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a beautiful post. partnership and love like that is the most wonderful and fulfilling part of life. sending continued wishes of happiness and such a lovely life together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hands will have stories in 60 years---they have stories now.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful sentiment and exactly what a marriage should be, without the diamonds, without the fanfare, without the audience. Congratulations on finding that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so excited to hear that you're making sales!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i don't think i've ever seen such a beautiful announcement! so very moved by the simple honest photos (stunning) and the sentiments behind them. much love and happiness your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's quite a diamond! I love that you're gardening with it on (-:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! I love your description of partner. I feel that.
    Also, the photos are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're an incredible writer, Kate. And your picture of muddy hands with the diamond ring is just stunning.

    But more importantly, I wish you two all the happiness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  14. okay, i cried. this is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful post. much love to the both of you! might I suggest a certain pound cake and baker for your wedding cake? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i feel proud, and i don't even really know you. i will remember to cheer you on, even just in my mind, as you choose bravery and freedom and dirty hands!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Kate, congrats. I know what you mean about the word "partner," too. I'd prefer to use it over "husband," in fact! It just feels like it fits better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this feels like the most natural thing in the world. the way you work alongside eachother, brainstorm together, get dirty, and dream big together.

    and your life in all its simplicity whispers to me of the profound, of the gritty, of the true.

    thank you so.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to the pair of you!!! Many blessings on your journey together!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK - I haven't even finished reading this post yet, but HOORAH and SO WEIRD because I have my great grandmother's engagement ring - and her name was Anne (she spoke French and kept chickens, a nifty lady who died long before I was born). It's a lovely and very old diamond which came to me in the original prong setting. Prongs + diamonds + farmers = not a great idea. I had mine reset into a sturdy setting after bending most of the eight prongs and breaking one off completely. Just an idea for you to consider... VERY EXCITING, all this being engaged business.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This made me smile, Kate. Although you aren't planning the wedding soon, I can't wait to see it when you do. I know it will just be beautiful... as will your marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats Kate! I am so happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful post (and a beautiful partnership). I wish you both all the love in the world as you continue to make a life together. Congratulations!

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That ring is gorgeous. Many congrats to you. You're such a great match.

    Kacie

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful post, you have truly found your soulmate, and I have mine.

    Sometimes we search a lifetime to find them and sometimes they are just there!

    We are SO lucky.

    (And I'm 52 and my hands look even worse than that, I've resorted to gloves.)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yay that is so exciting. Congrats on your beautiful love [and ring]!

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a great post.
    "we just decided slowly as though it were the most natural progression..." i love that.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What beautiful news!! Congratulations Kate and Nick! My husband is also the first man I met in San Francisco :) there's something special about that, isn't there?

    Félicitations!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! What a happy news, and such a sweet post! Thanks for sharing!

    xo Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a beautiful post. I've been reading along for a while so just wanted to offer my best wishes to you both. My partner and I have recently made baby steps into self sufficiency here in England and I find daily inspiration and encouragement from your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful post! Congratulations! Cheers to the many, many years (and wrinkles) that lie ahead of you both! Enjoy the ride, side by side!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wonderful news! Such a beautiful post, brought tears to my eyes. Your words have almost a poetry to them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. this makes me so happy, you two make a wonderful team

    ReplyDelete
  34. Many congratulations to you both, it is so rare to see someone write about love with such honesty, it sounds like you are perfect for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  35. SQUEEEEEALLL! My goodness I'm so happy for you both, not even for the fact that you are engaged but for the fact that you've found contentment and completion in one another. It's such a good, good feeling. I love hearing about your relationship and it makes me feel destined to meet you both someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is very beautiful, as are you.

    I just love coming here. Thank you.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...